Sunday 28 December 2014

Getting ready for a new year....

2014...

It's almost over and gone - just like that, a complete whirl and a flash!

Having looked back on my last post (6/12/13 - how did that happen?!) and everything that has happened, moving house/having a new baby girl (beautiful little Cate), maternity leave, bookings and new clients, a new course (more on that at a later date) and so on.  This year has given me time to think about what I want to do and where I want to go.  My own business has continued to develop and has started to prove in being a viable option should I leap into full time freelance.

Food for thought.

So I am now here on a Sunday morning with a coffee and my laptop tapping away to get this blog started up again.  As a Makeup Artist, I've decided to go back to basics and write about what I know best with posts based on my experiences, products I've used and tips I've picked up and tried along the way.  There are so so so many blogs out there with a fantastic array of writers, it's so easy to become overwhelmed and muddled (this was me) in how you want to focus your own posts.  So having had time (a whole year!) to think about what I want to do with this space and what I could be writing about.

So to keep with the theme, in going back to basics I would like to do a series of posts based around what I carry in my kit and reach for time and time again.  First being some of the brushes I use on each and almost every client that sits in my chair.

Real Techniques Buffing Brush (sold as part of a set)

This really is a holy grail brush for applying foundation, particularly if the client is asking for a full coverage and flawless base.  Not much will beat this brush in smoothing and buffing the skin to a velvety finish.  Sold as a four piece set, this brush will last and washes well (mine are still going strong after 2+ years of regular use).

MAC 217

Quality eye brushes are well worth the investment and the key to any good eye makeup.  This is one of my most essential brushes in my kit (I have around seven in my brush roll) and used on each and every person in application.  It is also extremely useful to buff concealer and works well when used products such as Derma-blend in covering acne and scarring.

MAC 263

For me, this brush is unbeatable in a applying the ever popular winged eyeliner.  Generally used with gel liner this synthetic brush gives a perfect result each time.

NO7 Smoky Eye Brush

I've had this brush in my kit for several years now, having purchased it when starting out as a Makeup Artist.  This little brush is perfect for creating a smudgy smoky eye particularly under the lower lash line and for softening liner.

These are just some of my absolute favourite brushes that I own and use on a very regular basis.  What are your favourite brushes?  Recommendations please!

Thanks for reading xx


No comments:

Post a Comment